Lime Class - Year 2
Summer Term 2020
Class teachers: Miss Hartnett & Miss Wilcox
Teaching assistants: Mrs Kirk, Mrs Sergeant & Miss Smedley
Hello Lime Class! We hope that you are safe and healthy at home and that you are enjoying some of the activities we have suggested. Remember to do lots of reading and stay active but also try and be creative and do some painting, drawing or listening to music. Spend time in your garden and try to get some fresh air every day.
*Activities from previous weeks are now available to download at the bottom of the page, along with fun family activities we think you will enjoy.*
Activities for w/c 6th July 2020
- Stone Girl, Bone Girl - listen to the story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd-CalUWWwU - This is a true story about a girl called Mary Anning who became a famous paleontologist. Use the story planner to write about what happens in the story. Remember to pick out the main, important parts to include in your story plan.
- Purple Mash 2Do - Spelling Quiz - this week we are working on 'ge', 'dge'and 'g' letters used for the same sound.
- Purple Mash 2Do - Mary Anning and the Time Twister - read Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 and complete the activities about the first and second chapters of the story.
- Shape - please look at the White Rose Maths Home Learning page to find a series of activities which guide children through this unit of work. Complete SUMMER TERM WEEK 8 - Lesson 1 - Count Sides and Vertices on 2D Shapes, Lesson 2 - Count Faces, Vertices and Edges on 3D Shapes, Lesson 3 - Sorting 2D and 3D Shapes and Lesson 4 - Patterns with 2D and 3D Shapes. https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-2/
- Purple Mash 2Do - 2D Shape Pairs Game - recognise and name common 2D shapes.
- Purple Mash 2Do - Telling the Time Quiz - tell the time to the hour and half past the hour.
- Purple Mash 2Do - Time: Whole Hours - write the times the clocks are showing.
Topic / Science:
- Dinosaur Timeline - Look at the eBook and the powerpoint and read the information about dinosaurs and when they lived. Complete the timeline by writing about some of the dinosaurs that lived during the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. How did things change during the Cenzoic Era? All the resources you need for this activity are attached to the email we sent out on 04/07/20. See https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/tp-l-52294-dinosaurs-ebook for the eBook (it is too large to attach to an email).
- Purple Mash 2Do - Name the Dinosaur - Complete the quiz to name the dinosaurs.
- Dinosaurs and Fossils - Watch the video and then play the game to learn about dinosaurs and find out more about fossils and evolution. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/z8cm8hv
Activities for w/c 29th June 2020
- The Day the Crayons Quit - listen to the story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=489micE6eHU - Read the letters from Blue, Pink and Peach Crayon to end the story. Look at the list to find names of other crayons that are not in this story - http://www.crayoncollecting.com/ccolor26.htm. Choose your favourite crayon from the list and write a letter to Duncan from that crayon. You will need to think of things that you can draw and colour using your chosen crayon so that you can include some examples in your letter. You need to tell Duncan how you are feeling, what you enjoy being used for and what you are unhappy about. Tell Duncan what he needs to do to make you feel happier.
- Purple Mash 2Do - The Secret of the Sandcastle - read Chapter 5 and complete the activities about the final chapter of the story.
- Purple Mash 2Do - Spelling Quiz - this week we are working on words ending in 'il'.
- Purple Mash 2Do - The Dancer and the Baker - sort the adjectives, nouns and verbs into the correct boxes.
- Fractions with Bar Modelling - please look at the White Rose Maths Home Learning page to find a series of activities which guide children through this unit of work. Following on from our previous learning on fractions - Complete SUMMER TERM WEEK 7 - Lesson 1 - Unit Fractions, Lesson 2 - Non-Unit Fractions, Lesson 3 - Find a Half and Lesson 4 - Find a Quarter https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-2/
- Purple Mash 2Do - Addition and Subtraction Facts - practise number bonds to 100.
- Purple Mash 2Do - Number Chart Patterns - work on facts about numbers to 100.
Topic / Science:
- Frida Kahlo Factfile - read the information about the famous artist Frida Kahlo - file://denholme.local/dfs/Users/Staff/z.hartnett/Documents/white%20rose%20maths%20home%20learning/Frida%20Kahlo%20facts.pdf Write a fact file about her life and what she was famous for.
- Self Portraits - with help from an adult use Google Images to research some of Frida Kahlo's paintings. Use her bright, colourful style as inspiration to create your own self portrait. You could also create a portrait of some of your family members!
- Purple Mash 2Do - Christianity: Expressing Joy - use the images and write about things in your life that make you happy.
Activities for w/c 22nd June 2020
- The Day the Crayons Quit - listen to the story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=489micE6eHU - Read the letter from Green Crayon and answer these questions - Why is Green Crayon writing to Duncan? What is Green Crayon happy about? How does he feel about Orange Crayon and Yellow Crayon falling out? Read the letters from Yellow Crayon and Orange Crayon. Imagine you are Duncan and write a letter back to them to give suggestions about how they could make friends again. Think about how they could solve the problem of who should colour the sun and write this in your letter.
- Purple Mash 2Do - The Secret of the Sandcastle - read Chapter 3 and complete the activities about the third chapter of the story.
- Purple Mash 2Do - The Secret of the Sandcastle - read Chapter 4 and complete the activities about the fourth chapter of the story.
- Purple Mash 2Do - Spelling Quiz - this week we are working on some of the Y2 Common Exception words.
- Multiplication and Division - please look at the White Rose Maths Home Learning page to find a series of activities which guide children through this unit of work. Complete SUMMER TERM WEEK 6 - Lesson 1 - The 10x Table, Lesson 2 - Sharing, Lesson 3 - Grouping and Lesson 4 - Odd and Even Numbers. https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-2/
- Purple Mash 2Do - Division using 2, 5 and 10 - practise your division facts for the 2, 5 and 10 times tables.
- Purple Mash 2Do - Odd and Even Numbers - race the other players by testing your knowledge on odd and even numbers.
- Purple Mash 2Do - Division Counting Groups - match the statement to the correct image.
Topic / Science:
- Repeated Patterns - watch the video and complete the activities to learn about repeated patterns and tessellation. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zrmj2sg
- Design your own packaging - hopefully you had a go at making a healthy sandwich last week. Now we want you to design and have a go at creating your own packaging for your sandwich! Have a look at the video and information on https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zkf8jhv then complete the activities to make your own packaging. We'd love to see your creations!
- Purple Mash 2Do - Five a Day - Create a leaflet to persuade people to eat five portions of fruit and vegetables a day. Use the images and explain why it is important to try and eat at least five pieces of fruit or vegetables every day.
Why not try...
There are lots of lovely activities that you can do at home with your family. Find the Home Learning Family Activities document available to download below. Here, we have added examples of activities that we think you will really enjoy.
Here you can download the fun family activities we think you might enjoy doing at home...
Here you can download all the activities that we have asked you to try and complete whilst you have been learning from home...
|Home Learning Activities 20th April 2020.docx||Download|
|Home Learning Activities 27th April 2020.docx||Download|
|Home Learning Activities 30th March 2020.docx||Download|
|Home Learning Activities 4th May 2020.docx||Download|
|Home Learning Activities 11th May 2020.docx||Download|
|Home Learning Activities 18th May 2020.docx||Download|
|Home Learning Activities 3rd June 2020.docx||Download|
|Home Learning Activities 15th June 2020.docx||Download|
|Home Learning Activities 22nd June 2020.docx||Download|
|Home Learning Activities 29th June 2020.docx||Download|
We miss you all very much and hope that we see you all soon. Take care, stay safe and keep smiling!
Miss Hartnett & Miss Wilcox
Here is a link to a useful guide for children which will help them to understand the current situation. - https://www.childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/publication/childrens-guide-to-coronavirus/